7.11.10

'Tranny' is now a slur?


http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/11/02/mtv-apologizes-to-glaad-for-jersey-shore-segment/

So apparently calling someone a "tranny" is not acceptable. Okay, to their face with the intention of hurting their feelings, I can see that. Talking with your friends and trying to communicate with them that the person over there is a transsexual - I don't see the problem. Screaming "HEY LOOK AT THE TRANNY" at the top of your lungs outside the club would be a bit rude. I prefer to think of myself as a not rude person. But occasionally I am. Sorry. Not that way, though - I would hope.

I don't see how the shortening of "homosexual" to "homo" is a slur or bad word. Same with "gay". Calling someone "gay" is not offensive. If it is, go home and change your twisted-up panties. Same with "tranny" - it's just a short form of the word "transsexual". Get off your hobby horse and accept that not everyone is as EXTREMELY LEFT WING TOLERANT as you are. Accept other people for having religious beliefs that clash with your lifestyle and choices. Accept that other people find you weird and crazy. Accept that trying to witch-hunt them in the media is just going to piss us normal people off even more.

I don't particularly like gay or transsexual people. But I leave them alone and recognize their right to do whatever the hell they want as long as it's between consenting adults and it's not bothering other people. Do what you want in the privacy of your own home or club or whatever. In the public forum you might find that people take offense to your extremely overt shows of your decidedly non-mainstream sexuality. But I guess if you want to get attention and start drama, go for it.

I also admit to having a double standard with regards to public displays of affection between straight & lesbian couples versus gay/transsexuals. Two girls together is sexier than hell. Two guys is gross. Two uhmmm I don't know what is nasty. Okay, so I'm human. You caught me there. I'll try to be a bit more open minded. More than likely I'll just turn around and walk away - I can't help what I think is gross and disgusting any more than you can help being who you are and being attracted to the type of people you are attracted to.

Live and let live imho. I won't be in your face screaming "die, homo, die!" and crap like that. If you hit on me I'll say "No thanks" and then I'll walk away. Keep bothering me and I'll ask you stop. Keep keep bothering me and eventually you'll find a fist coming your way. Don't bother me and I won't bother you. Ask me if I'm gay-friendly or gay and I'll tell you "No, I'm straight."

Funny thing is I find myself with gay friends via my gym and athletic stuff. Some of them are the coolest people I know. They seriously rock. They never bother me. They're the kind of people I'd like to hang out with if I could walk around and do stuff and hang out with people right now (sciatica, back injury). So I readily acknowledge that people I wouldn't ordinarily want to be around can in fact be tons of cool.

Just don't push your luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment