16.2.11

CrossFit. What is a functional movement?


From page 1 of the CF Manual (v4) :

Prescription
The CrossFit prescription is “constantly varied, high-intensity, functional movement.” Functional movements are universal motor recruitment patterns; they are performed in a wave of contraction from core to extremity; and they are compound movements—i.e., they are multi-joint. They are natural, effective, and efficient locomotors of body and external objects. But no aspect of functional movements is more important than their capacity to move large loads over long distances, and to do so quickly. Collectively, these three attributes (load, distance, and speed) uniquely qualify functional movements for the production of high power. [emphasis added]

So what's the problem, you might ask? 

I realize that not everyone agrees with me that (forgive me, I'm on my hobby horse now, CFJ article submission on this subject is in the works as soon as I get a job) - CF should primarily be about preparing people for the real world, and not for getting a smoking hot "Fran" and "Cindy" time or being the world's best at throwing around heavy barbells like they're toothpicks at the CF Games. 

To me, the word "functional" just implies something that fulfills a function. Which is way too broad of a definition to be useful for CF, so the whole "natural movement that moves a large load a long distance quickly" works pretty darn well for me in a CF environment. I'd just respectfully prefer that the term "natural" wasn't separated from the rest of it, and that that word wasn't set up to be seen as not quite as "right" and/or important as the rest of the quote.

"STORM IN A TEACUP. THIS GUY LARSSON JUST NEEDS TO BE QUIET AND DRINK THE KOOL-AID."

- Ok, it is just semantics and splitting hairs. I like the Kool-Aid by the way, it's dramatically improved my life and mission readiness. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment